THE GATEHOUSE 1886-8
The castle's position on the volacnic rock offered protection from all
sides with steep rocky faces all round and the Nor'
Loch to the North. The Gatehouse, which faced the
sloping town (the Royal Mile) was the most vunerable point to attack.
However, The Gatehouse, an impressive main entrance into the castle
was built, not so much as an additional defence but rather for aesthetic
reasons. It replaced a simple functional gate which was built in the late
the main arched entrance stand bronze statues of two of Scotland hero
freedom fighters, William Wallace and Robert
the Bruce, added in 1929.
side of the draw bridge leading to the Gatehouse is a dry ditch which
dates from Oliver Cromwell times (1650's)