Reputedly haunted, this building was the official residence for the Castle
Built in 1742 the building also houses lodgings for the Masterr Gunner
and the Storekeeper.
After the post of Castle Governor was abolished in 1860 the building was
used as a residence for nurses of the hospital. Today, thecentral block
is occupied by Army Officers' Mess and the north wing is reserved for
a Crown appointed Governor restored in 1935 for ceremonial purposes only.