THE GREAT HALL
The great hall was built before the death of King James IV in 1513.
It served as the main hall for state assembly in the castle.
During Cromwell's occupation in the 1650s the hall was converted into
soldiers' barracks and was altered in 1737 to accommodate 312 men.
With the building of the New Barracks 1796-9, the Great Hall was converted
into a hospital until 1887.
It was then fancifully restored by the architect Hippolyte Blanc who is
responsible for much of the way the Great Hall looks today.