This steep and narrow close, believed to date from
1544, offers attractive views to Princes Street
and the Scott's
Scougall, painter to William III and Queen
Mary, was an early resident here, as was Bishop
Bothwell (Abbot of Holyrood House 1570).
It takes its name from Sir James Stewart of
Goodtrees, the last Advocate of Scotland in office during
the time of the Restoration, Revolution and Union.
Close leads to Cockburn