known as Hamilton's Close and Cant's Land,
this is named in honour of Thomas Fisher,
the first Chamberlain of Edinburgh, who built a tenement
on this site at the end of the sixteenth century.
Later to become home to the Duke of Buccleuch's family, much
of the property was destroyed around 1835 to allow construction
of Victoria Street.
The close was restored by the Carnegie UK trust in 1953,
and currently houses administrative staff for the nearby
National Library on George IV Bridge.
close leads to Victoria