site was renamed in honour of William Gladstone MP,
formerly Prime Minister, and had a bowling green overlooked
by the Tolbooth Gaol.
In 1805 this green was the site for the Magdalene Asylum,
an institution for 'young girls or fallen women who have
deviated from the path of virtue and peace'.
Edinburgh Gaslight Company was also based here, supplying
the first gas-lit lamps to the stretch between the
Bridges and Parliament Square in 1820.