This 17th century close is one of the many underground streets that were built over during the modernisation of the old town. The lower floors acted as the foundation for The Royal Exchange, built in 1753 (now The City Chambers) and over 250 years later the floors below remain largely unchanged.
the war years the underground vaults were used as an air-raid shelter.
It certainly has a reputation of being haunted, one ghost of a little girl 'Annie' has become something of a local celebrity. Sad because she had lost her favourite doll, there is now a room full of gifts left by visitors for her.
King's Close is now open throughout the year to the public for tours.