STAMP OFFICE CLOSE
close gets its name as it once housed the
Government Stamp Office until 1821. The Royal
Bank was also located here from 1727 to 1753.
It also contained the home of The Countess of Eglinton and her seven beautiful
daughters. They family would set out to attend dancing assemblies in Assembly
Close each in their own guilded Sedan Chair.
The poet Allan Ramsay dedicated "The
Gentle Shepherd" to her.
close also housed a Tavern called 'Fortune's Tavern'
and at one time 'Ship's Tavern' Where levées
were held by the General Assembly's Lord High Commissioner
Flora McDonald, associated
Prince Charlie attended boarding school here.