close built in 1591, takes its name froom the Auld
Tolbuith of the Canongate.
Subsequent to its original function, the Tolbooth was the council chambers of
the old Burgh of Canongate, a police court, and latterly a prison.
The turreted steeple and clock make this building instantly recognisable; The
building now houses the Tolbooth Tavern and a museum which tells 'The
People's Story'. In doing so it provides the visitor with a fascinting
insight to the sounds, sights and smells of life in the City's past.
Tolbooth Wynd close leads to Calton