On Royal Mile History Gallery Festivals Maps Links Off Royal Mile Advertise

MARLIN'S WYND

The old sixteenth century building is exposed by excavations revealing fine stone cellars and walls. Several storeys high, and joined above the Wynd entry at first floor level, they were divided into apartments for rent. Booths (platformed, wooden structures) extended onto the street serving a variety of traders with a place to sell goods.

The sophisticated drainage system - a configuration of vertical chutes leading to a sewage below the wynd - reflects the prosperity of the residents here.

Tax records, from 1635 reveal that a lawyer, merchants, a surgeon, shoemaker and writer all occupied parts of these premises. Rent for the apartments, at this time, was £56 per annum, compared with the average of £41 for the town as a whole. The rent of the booths was £35 per annum.

PLACES OF INTEREST

MAP OF THE HIGH STREET

 
Home


© chameleon design