from The High Street
from The Canongate
Netherbow name was adopted by a near by building incoporating
a theatre, café, storytelling and arts centre.
('Nether' meaning furthest and 'Port' meaning Gateway)
The Netherbow Port was a large gatehouse between the High Street and the
gates along with the old city wall enclosed the city and citizens from
the Canongate and beyond would have to pay to gain entry.
Poorer residents within the city couldn't leave as they couldn't afford
to pay to re-enter and so stayed withinin the walled city their whole
The area inside the Netherbow gate became known as the World's end because
for many residents this was where their world ended. and a pub in this
location is so called The World's End.
Gate had impressive towers and the heads of executed prisoners from the
were ofter displayed on the spikes of the Netherbow Gate to deter would-be
It was demolished
in 1764 but is depicted in the sign for the Netherbow Theatre (above)
and brass clobbles on the road mark the outline of the old gate perimeter.
mark the area once occupied by
The Netherbow Port.