Designated bird sanctuary, Duddingston Loch, has through the ages served
as a hunting ground for successive Kings and was made a Royal Park in
On its shore stands Duddingston Kirk, a 17th century building with 12th century
Surviving Romanesque features include the Norman Doorway (at the West end of
the nave's south wall) which incorporates extraordinary carving including a crucifixion.
The chancel arch within, is typical of this period with dog-tooth pattern and
scallop capitals. The manse, in close proximity, is of 1805 and built by Playfair.
The Rev John Thorne named this home 'Edinburgh' with the reason that frequent
visitors could be turned away, on account that the owner was in 'Edinburgh'.