Mercat Cross was the central meeting place where Royal proclamations
and other official announcements were read.
served as a landmark for the merchants and citizens within
the official hub of the city market.
is still part of the original 14th century cross built into
the shaft of the existing 1885 Mercat Cross which stands
to this day.
cross, just a few yards down from the Mercat Cross, marks
the spot on the High Street where the original Mercat Cross