bridge that connects Princes Street with the High Street,
and indeed the New Town with the Old, North Bridge has had
The first was built between 1763 and 1772 by Scottish architect
and engineer William Mylne (1734 – 1790) and stood
until 1896 when it was demolished to make way for the current
The building of the first North Bridge ran into trouble when it was discovered
that the bridge was built upon loose travelled earth and the foundations of the
bridge were simply not deep enough. On the 3rd of August , 1769 part of the bridge
collapsed and five people lost their lives in the tragedy.
The bridge was rebuilt and renovated and opened again three years later.
The current North Bridge was built between 1894 and 1897 by
Sir William Arrol & Co.,
the company also responsible for the construction of the Forth Road Bridge.
The southern end of the bridge meets The Royal Mile and South Bridge whereas
the northern end meets Princes Street in the New Town.
North Bridge is home to King's Own Scottish Borderers
Memorial, by Edinburgh sculptor William Birnie Rhind (1853 – 1933)
which memorializes the soldiers who fought and died in military campaigns between
1878 and 1902.