in 1681 by Lord Haltoun but sold upon completion some 5
years later to William, 1st Duke of Queensberry.
William's son James (2nd Duke of Queensberry) then lived
here with his children including Lord Drumlanrig, his eldest
son whose existence was kept secret for many years as he
was considered a 'wild madman', and lived chained up in its
ground floor rooms.
James was a very unpopular figure throughout Scotland as
he accepted a bribe of £12,325 to push through the
1707 Treaty of the Union with England.
Whenever he left his house he would have to take body guards
with him to protect him from stones and other missiles that
were often thrown at him. During one of his many evenings
spent canvassing for signatures, James returned home to a
scene of horror.
Drumlanrig had 'gotten oot' and was was devouring the flesh
of a young kitchen boy who was still roasting on the spit!
Queenberry family remained in the house until 1832. Later
the building was used a house of refuge for the destitute
and then as Queensberry Hospital for the elderly which
was closed in 1975.
It is now part of the development of the New
Scottish Parliament, retaining its original exterior.
this day the house is reputedly haunted, perhaps because
of its macabre past!