The Scott Monument

The Scott Monument

This huge gothic tower was built to commemorate the work of Sir Walter Scott (1771-1832).

The foundation stone was laid on August 15th 1840 and it was completed in 1844 at a cost of little over £16,154.00.

Rising to 200ft 6 inches high it contains a spiralling staircase of 287 steps and offers magnificent views from the top spire.

Built of light sandstone, the pollution from traffic over the years has darkened it considerably.

Seated under the huge arches of the tower is a solid marble sculputure of Sir Walter Scott with his beloved dog ' Maida' carved by sculptor John Steell.

PRINCES STREET GARDENS MAP

PRINCES STREET GARDENS

FAMOUS SCOTS

PLACES OF INTEREST

SIR WALTER SCOTT
Home